27 August 2010

Stereo Total

I went to see Stero Total at La Sala Rossa tonight (well, I guess last night...) I didn't know who the opener was, but I sure found out.

If you don't know who Nut Brown is, you really should. I am musically crushed on Nut Brown, or maybe it's more performance-artistically crushed on him. (I was sorry to hear he is taking a break from music at the moment...)

But anyway. If you were to mutate Nut Brown with Mump+Smoot, you would end up with Bobo Boutin. When he first showed up on stage in black jeans and black gloves with no shirt and a kindergarten Hallowe'en cat painted on his face, I wondered who he was and what he was going to do. When he hit play on his computer, I almost thought he WAS Nut Brown, except he looked, well, younger. And he was using a computer, not a ghettoblaster.

It was impossible to capture this man on film. He was frenetically screaming around the stage making crazy noises and...well, it's pointless to try to describe. If you ever get the chance, check him out. I was thunderstruck!

He may be slowly coming into focus...

I was a bit weirded out by some of his fans. It seemed a bit too much like worship. But maybe I only think that since I noticed the Scientology banner on his MySpace page. And, Juliette Lewis, Scientologist? Is it Hollywood, or what? Or is it all just a joke that Tom Cruise has lost all grip on?

Then Stereo Total came on! Now, I have an album of theirs from several (5?) years ago, and I'm not even sure which one (it's in a box in BC). So I was surprised when the lead singer and her David-Duchovny Fraggle showed up on stage. Brezel Goring is charming as anything, and looks a little like a kindergarten teacher. Cute as hell! And, actually, so is Françoise Cactus. But he does look a lot like a fraggle and a little like Duchovny.

Yup. She plays the drums. And some weirdo electronic box. She even had a pink toy microphone at some point...

The encore included Françoise Cactus helping people onto the stage to dance. It was kind of amusing how most people were totally into dancing up there, but some people--one guy in particular--just stood in between FC and BG and held his own hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment